Friday, March 1, 2013

Kids at work...

My son attended his first loan closing when he was 6 months old. Why? More likely why not? He's been to about 6 closings over the course of his 8 years and gone on many more site visits. My daughter has also been to a handfull over her 5 years. That doesn't count the days they set up with me at my office to be my assistant. These are fun days. They are responsible for everything from keeping me hydrated to fetching things from the printer for me and our residential lender that has an office beside me. I feel that its fun and important for our kids to know what we do everyday. It gives them something a bit more tangible when we disappear each day to go to "work".

I don't have to bring them, it isn't a child care issue, rather I love showing them off and they are genuinely helpful and as mentioned fun to have around. Frankly, if I'm dealing with someone that is annoyed by a little one around, I probably don't want to do business with that person anyway.

So bring your kids, set guidelines, give them something to do that makes them feel valuable, and take the time to talk them through what you are doing and why. Let them meet as many of your clients as possible, they will view these folks as your "friends" instead of customers but there is no harm in that. A child's mind thinks in terms of play dates so if they think everyday I head to work to have play dates with my clients, all the better. To be honest, a lot of times my clients and I are on the equivalent of a play date anyway.

Think of bringing your kids as a date day also (daddy/daughter day we call it), and go out for a nice lunch, plan afternoon tea at the local coffee shop that happens to have delicious cookies. It leaves an impression. I'm lucky to have great restaurants, coffee shops and a rad toy store in my portfolio so not only can you take your little ones to places they will enjoy, but you also get to spend some face time with your clients! Oh, and most important you are spending some quality, one on one time, with those that are at the end of the day the most important little people in your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment