Monday, July 1, 2013

Everyone Loves a Parade!

Tis the season, time to dust off the costumes and get ready for some fun. No I'm not talking about Halloween, I'm talking about the annual Independence Day celebration in Montpelier VT. When I started working at the bank I'm at now it was a prerequisite to get up on a float and smile and wave to the 20,000 strong that come every year. At first I resisted, after all that can be pretty intimidating but I quickly overcame any inhibitions.



Blowing kisses to my wife and kids!
 
So the first year I was pretty traditional, opting to dress as my favorite founding father, Benjamin Franklin (my boy is named Benjamin after BF, and also after the greatest Jedi Master from the old republic, Ben Kenobi (Obi Wan to the layperson)). That was fun, we smiled and waved and no one knew who I was.

Then this happened:


Terrifying
 

Yup, that is my daughter dashing out of the picture frame, and no one believed that I would show up as Jumpsuit Elvis. I did and it got a ton of laughs and was more fun than I genuinely care to admit. I was joined by two other Elvises (is that how you pluralize Elvis?) but they were more traditional than the nightmare outfit you see to your right.

So how do you top chubby Elvis? Well you surprise everyone in your group by showing up dressed as a Stormtrooper. Why? Why not? Throw in two squirt guns and you have yourself a recipe for some real fun! You see when you are hidden away behind a mask the world is yours for the taking, and we took quite a bit last year! Sorry to any of you that got the bad end of the squirt gun thing by the way....



Washington was a bit surprised when I strolled up in this outfit!
 




Again, sorry to those of you I got,,,, not really.
 

No that isn't a PBR. Get your eyes checked.
  So we're at it again this year, July 3rd in Montpelier. And we are going all in with Star Wars! We'll have two stormtroopers, Chewbacca, Princess Leia, a group of Jedi Knights and one very bad $%^ Sith Lord. If you are around check out the parade, it starts at 6 and there is a ton to do downtown before and after!

Moral of the post, get up, get involved, and make it your own! Have fun, after all everyone loves a parade!

No comments:

Post a Comment