Monday, July 1, 2013

Saying Thank You.....

When was the last time you thought about your customers not in terms of balance sheets and income statements, but in terms of what they bring to the community? How do they give back? More importantly, how do they positively impact those around them?

Does that even matter? I think it does. I was lunching with one of my favorite COIs (that's center of influences) a few weeks back and he asked me why I liked my job? He commented that I seemed to have somehow struck the right balance of work, family and fun. Well that isn't entirely the case but I try like hell to keep a balance of all of them. More importantly I try to combine them as often as I can. A day in the office for my daughter is as fun to her as a day at Santa's Village, I know right? Any chance I get to include the kids here to be a part of my daily chaos that is work I get them here. I call her my little assistant, she sets up at the closing table and colors and ensures I'm properly hydrated. I've mentioned before my son's first closing was when he was 6 months old. And work is a lot more fun when they are around.

But what about the customers? How do I be their banker and still have some fun with them? It seems to me (and this is my blog so I guess I can do this here) the most important thing you can do is really get to know the folks you bank (yup, that can mean beers and golf). Not just get to know them but also their employees and if you can their families. I'm thinking of one customer in particular where I know everyone's name or they know me, and this is a pretty big company with 40+ employees. You see when you really get to know your customers, and not just in terms of their financials or when the next great opportunity will arrive, but really get to know them and what motivates them you gain a real appreciation for them. Which makes you want to serve them better. Oh yes, and it can be a great deal of fun getting to know them along the way. After all if you have to work all day you may as well enjoy the folks you work with!

Think of it this way as I can tell I'm getting too verbose here, look at the number of employees your customer has, then think about the number of families within your community that are impacted by their being in business...... Right? Makes a difference doesn't it? Puts a more real face on what could otherwise be seen as just another "transaction". And why not say "thanks for your business" every once in a while? Or better yet, "thanks for all that you are doing to make our community stronger". I find that sometimes when I say this customers don't get my meaning and I tell them what I noted earlier, you aren't just a business, you are the support system for (insert number of employees) and their families!

So go ahead, go out there and get to REALLY know your customers, AND their employees. Put a smile on some of their faces in the next few days by simply saying thank you for what you do!

No comments:

Post a Comment