Sunday, April 14, 2013

Han Shot First.

I was born in 1976. One year later the greatest space story ever told began. So put on your nerd hat folks, I'm going to dedicate this one to the best character in cinematic history, Han Solo. The name says it all, and growing up I emulated Han to keep me alive on the mean playgrounds of my youth right through the trials and tribulations of high school and college. Even had my own wookiee, in fact I had two. Better safe than sorry and as you all know its not wise to upset a wookiee.

So how has Han guided me post high school and college? Are there valuable lessons to learn from this deliciously awesome character. You bet there are, so here we go.

First surround yourself with the right people, folks that you trust implicitely to support you through thick and thin. This goes for friends, family and co-workers. In Han's case he had a wookiee, no one else (ok, he also bagged a princess but more on that later). And all he needed was Chewie, a good blaster at his side and the right ship, the legendary Millenium Falcon (you know, the ship that made the kessel run in less than 12 parsecs). So find your wookiee (or wookiees), and also the right equipment. In my case its my beautiful bride, kids, handful of friends (Seinfeld said any more than 3 is too much work) and select co-workers (now and prior). My blaster? Simple, the right smart phone. You don't need much else.

Second. Keep your enemies or in our case competitors closer. Think Lando here, classic Sabacc competitor (for those of you that don't know Sabacc is a card game, Han won the Falcon from lando in one of these games), that often bested Han at the table. BUT when push came to shove (or in Han's case his ship failed him and his soon to be father in law was breathing down his neck), he turned to Lando to help. Sure there was a bit of a misunderstanding, the whole carbonite thing with Boba Fett and Jabba for example, but in the end Lando came through. Lesson? I've said this before, get to know your competitors, you never know when you'll need them!

Third. Nothing beats a knowing smile. Seriously. We all know that person when talking to us that flashes a sideways grin, like they know something we don't. Be that guy (or gal). Its fun. In fact I believe of all the Solo attributes I've sought to emulate, the sideways grin is my go to move. It keeps people on their heels, right where you want them to be!

Finally, there hasn't been a cockier character in cinema than Han (Tony Stark takes a close second, and I'm sure I'll have some Iron Man insights on here soon). Kid Rock says it ain't cocky if you back it up, so live by that folks. After all, if its the bottom of the ninth and you can choose between two closers to seal the game up, you going to pick the one that is oozing with enthusiasm and self assurance, or the other that won't even make eye contact? You know the answer so be that person, after all people like to be around people that believe in themselves.

Now we wait for Episode 7, to see how the Solo saga wraps up. Stay tuned.

Side note here, when your wife texts that she loves you she will not see the humor when you answer "I know", so steer clear of that Hanism.....

Do you have any cinematic characters that influenced you growing up? Who and how? I'm always curious.......

No comments:

Post a Comment