Monday, April 22, 2013

White Lightning

Smell that? Hear that? Feel that? Its baseball season again. Yes, the Sox are off to a great start but I'm not talking MLB, I'm talking about all the little fields all over the country filling up with all of tomorrow's superstars. I have the distinct pleasure of coaching my 8 year old's baseball team again this year and I can not wait for the season to start. Why?

Why not! You get to hang with your kids, meet their friends, and their friend's parents. You get to help sculpt little minds with all sorts of coaching insights, you get to teach the greatest game that ever was created, baseball! My God just writing this makes me want to hit the field and start throwing live BP to our collection of super outstanding kids.

Don't get me wrong, we're not turning double plays, we're likely to barely get the ball out of the infield but who cares! It is fundamentals time! Time to set the base. Baseball for me growing up was more important than my family, I didn't worry about staying out late on Friday night because my folks might punish me, I was more worried about letting down the team. You see for those of you that never partook in team sports there is a wonderfully familial type dynamic that happens on a baseball field. You rely on each other, you cheer on each other, you look out for each other on and off the field. You are a baller, through and through.

So we're called White Lightning, I get a kick out of the name, and yes its another term for moonshine. Call it an inside joke. We put the name in place last year and you know what? All the boys from the team last year are already asking me when they will be getting their new White Lightning jerseys, they feel like a part of something, and I love being along for the ride.

The parents mostly are awesome, and pitch in to help with practice and at game time. Again, is there a better way to really get to know the kids yours are hanging out with than to actively be their coach? Get to see them in action? Meet their parents? Some of my favorite friends are the parents of my son and daughter's friends!

So if you get the chance coach. If you can't coach, help out however you can. I can PROMISE you that you will get a wonderful sense of fulfillment from being directly involved in your kids life! Don't have time? BS, make the time! As Ferris Bueller said, life moves pretty quickly, if you don't slow down every once in a while you might miss it! And after all, whatever is at the office, whatever outdoor work you think you need to do, will still be there long after the last pitch is tossed and your done having pizza and creamees with the team. Get some!

No comments:

Post a Comment