Everyone is good at something? What are you good at? Long ago I realized I was not in love with administrative duties, but was up until recently saddled with them. The new gig I have now has allowed me to finally surround myself with people that understand, and enjoy the necessity of the administrative duties. I have two assistants that support me that are the yin to my yang. It is no secret that I like to go 110 miles per hour. But to sustain that level I need to have people around me to pick up the inevitable pieces that will break off along the way.
And guess what? Things have never been better! I like to sell, I like to visit with my clients, I like to be available 24/7 to my clients. Service, Service, Service! Again to do this something has to give. The secret is to be honest with yourself and take some time to list what you are and aren't good at, and then back fill your weaknesses with folks that are good at them. My team had a record year last year and there is nothing holding us back this year from repeating that performance. Nothing that is except losing those people that work with us that pick up our slack. So remember to say thank you, and say it often!
So are you a super sales person but not so big on the details? Then hire someone to support you that gets the details and revels in them. How about you are the furthest thing from a salesperson? Then hire folks that are and do all you can to support their strengths. Are you a people person? Are you analytical? Then recognize these are the things you excel at and then find folks that compliment your strengths by being good at your weaknesses. It is the true definition of a good team, with everyone holding together their piece of the whole pie.
One of my favorite stories (that I'm sure I have only part right) is about Henry Ford. He was testifying for something and the folks grilling him were having a good time trying to make him look dumb. Cheapen his successes somehow (by the way, the world is full of these people, ignore them). After this drilling Mr. Ford finally said, (again, I loosely quote here) "folks, I can promise you that I don't know the answer to that, but I can also promise you that I can find the answer in five minutes from one of my workers. Point? He recognized that he needed people around him that were smarter than he was, for that is the true sign of a real manager, one that recognizes what they can and can't do, then hires folks to fill those voids.
So take some time to list out what your strong points are, heck even ask some of your co-workers and clients what they think. Focus on these strengths, and then find some people to surround yourself with that can fill your weaknesses. Not only will you be happier not trying to be everything for everyone, but you will have a lot more fun at your job.

No comments:
Post a Comment