When was the last time you set aside a day or two to go out and see your best clients? I'm not talking about going to see them to go over financials, stopping to meet about a new loan opportunity, I'm just talking about popping over and saying hello. See how things are going. Better yet don't talk business at all, just shoot the breeze. In our day to day lives we're so pressed for time we forget that ultimately people bank with people, and they need to know and see and have access to those people.
Become more than their banker, become their partner. Bring something thoughtful along, favorite beer, box of company golf balls, something fun. Plan to be there for a while but also expect to maybe only have a few minutes to say hello, catch up and move on your way. Folks want access, and by making sure to pop out unexpected periodically (outside of the usual visits for straight bank talk) they will get a higher comfort level with you, again your goal is to be a part of their team, more than just a banker.
That point was hammered home for me today. Sort of. I got a call from a client I enjoy, like to toss a beer back with, great story teller and super business person. He was looking to catch up and maybe had a few ideas to toss around. I said I'd be in his office in 5 minutes, dropped everything I was working on and shot over. The reward? I had a great conversation, we did some strategic planning and walked away with a sweet deal and a sick referral. He taught me today, and my job was to listen. Of the hour visit we shot the breeze for 45 and got to business for about 15 of it. That is fun and fulfilling to me, let's be people first, have a laugh, catch up and then get down to the task at hand.
Did I mention be accessible? As I write this one of my top clients texted me (its 8:37 pm) with a new, hot prospect, we're texting now about him getting me in front of them. Sweet, I love this job and I love my customers! This is one of my favorite pop in customers, he has a great business, well connected, fun to be around, great golfer, super family.....you get the point, good dude.
So make the effort to sit down and make a list of your top clients and partners (lawyers, accountants brokers), then make a plan to get out to them over the next two weeks. No agenda, just purely a social visit. Grab a beer, grab lunch, hit the golf course. Whatever suits you. I can guarantee that by doing this as much as once a month, but definitely once a quarter not only will you gain trust, but you may also flesh out issues ahead of time, dig out a new deal in the works, or pick up a referral for some exciting new business along the way.
The challenge is to break out of your routine and get out there, you will find you are much happier in your job, and you will enhance your relationships with your clients. I like to say if I'm at my desk I'm not working. By being the last banker they saw, you will be the first banker they think of when the next great thing comes along.

No comments:
Post a Comment